This may sound silly but I have a family member (really) who possesses a Paralegal Certificate, a Notary License and good LSAT scores but NO College degree, who is seeking a job as a Paralegal or Legal Assistant. However she has no current working experience in the Legal field.
Is she being delusional or is that possible?
So far the skeptics have told her that NO Licensed Attorney in his or her right mind would hire such a person to work as a Paralegal or Legal Assistant under their supervision.
She is planning to enroll in a Community College this year to pursue a Associates degree in Paralegal Studies, but right now she just needs a job.
Could someone please expound on this for me or point me in the right direction? She’s my favorite Niece and I’m trying to help her secure employment.
I appreciate the answers I’ve gotten thus far on the subject. Thanks guys
(I am NOT speaking about the SATs!)
My Niece has earned 62 College credits but she does NOT have a degree. Thus she was qualified to take the LSATs.
I know people who are currently employed as Paralegal and Certified Legal Assistants who attended college but did NOT earn a degree.
I am speaking of REAL Paralegals NOT Legal Secretaries.
So the part about not being able to find work as a Paralegal without a formal degree isn’t true. It appears as though the job requirements depends upon the Law Office or Firm that’s doing the hiring.
If anyone else has more info. or answers they would like to share please do so. At this point I am all hears or should I say, “all eyes”.
Thanks to all of you who have responded to this question thus far.
While your answers were extremely thorough, they were exclusively just YOUR Personal Opinion, versus 100% Facts.
I would like to dig a little deeper on this subject if I may by posing these additional questions:
1) Were you all born working in a Law Firm or did someone hire you to give your “Experience”?
2) Did any of you come out of your Mother’s womb with “Excellent Professional References” or did someone hire you, allow you to prove yourself and than after watching your Work Ethic give you “Excellent Professional References”?
3) How does an applicant for ANY type of job gain experience or earn Excellent References unless someone hires them and gives them the Opportunity to work?
4) How do you explain ALL of the Paralegals and Certified Legal Assistants working in Law Firms and Law Offices across this country who don’t possess a Bachelor’s degree?
Are they just Pretending to be Paralegals?
- What is the job outlook for Paralegals/Legal Assistants? MP asked: I have a bachelors degree, and am going...
- What do Paralegals/Legal Assistants do on a daily basis? GoBuckeyes! asked: I’m thinking about getting my degree to me...
- Is work experience commensurate with having a college degree? Fatdude427 asked: I am a legal assistant from Georgia. I...
- Need help with a legal assistant resume. Still in college? Desiree asked: I need some help putting together a resume...
- I have a Bachelors Degree in English but no job offers. Is my degree useless in today’s job market? Anonymous asked: For 5+ years, I have been trying to...
Filed Under Law & Legal |